The English Department aims to equip our students with the independence and knowledge they need to be creative and adaptive in our subject.
At Astor College, our aim is for our curious, independent and adventurous learners to develop their skills which are then transferrable to other areas of the school's curriculum.
We do this by:
- Implementing the school vision of being adaptable, creative and proud.
- Setting challenging and high expectations for all pupils.
- Offering a variety of approaches to teaching and learning to engage and motivate pupils and demand their active participation.
- Smoothing the transition for pupils between Key Stages and ensure progression in learning throughout their time at Astor College.
- Ensuring all pupils, regardless of ability, make expected progress between key stages.
- Exploring enrichment opportunities outside the curriculum to enhance pupils’ enjoyment of English.
Students receive a varied curriculum which contains the core skills needed for success in this and other subjects.
Throughout their school career, students study areas of English including poetry, 19th century literature, modern literature, Shakespeare, creative writing and transactional writing which will equip them for other areas of the curriculum.
The English specification is a very challenging one. It is focused heavily on developing a deep understanding of texts as well as the skills and independence necessary for pupils to develop their work in creative ways. This is extremely rewarding when successful.
There are no short cuts to learning English Language and Literature - practise and revision are key to gaining the best grades by Year 11.
For any enquiries please contact Miss Rachael Chapman, Director of English.
Please note Summer 2019 exam dates are as follows:
Component 1: Wednesday 15th May 2019
Component 2: Thursday 23rd May 2019
Component 1: Tuesday th June 2019
Component 2: Friday 7th June 2019
Link to the English Language Specification:
Link to the English Literature Specification:
Link to English Language past papers:
Link to English Literature past papers: